Mile-High Apple Cranberry Pie
I love, love, LOVE eating simple, healthful foods like salads and juices. But every now and then, you need a decadent holiday treat! This mile-high pie fits the bill. It’s deliciously sweet, but the apple variety and cranberries give it a bit of tartness. Yum!
2 cups flour
pinch of salt
1 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of sodium)
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoons coconut butter
1/3 cup water
12 to 20 Granny Smith apples (the more you use, the higher your pie!)
1 handful of cranberries
1/4 cup cinnamon powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
walnuts to taste (optional)
shredded coconut to taste (optional)
- Put all pastry items in a food processor. Process until the ingredients come together to form a dough.
- Divide the dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Form each piece into a ball.
- On top of a layer of plastic wrap, roll one of the balls out until it’s flat and thin. Cover the flat dough with another layer of plastic wrap. Fold it into thirds.
- Repeat step 3 on the other ball of dough.
- Refrigerate both dough packets for about an hour.
- Lay the smaller dough packet on the counter, unfold it, and remove the top layer of plastic.
- Gently place the dough into a pie dish, unwrapped side down, and press the dough into the dish.
- Peel the plastic off the top of the dough, then remove any large chunks of excess dough from the edges. Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork 3-4 times.
- Peel the apples and cut them into wedges.
- Sprinkle the remaining filling ingredients over the apples, then mix gently to coat the wedges evenly.
- Arrange most of the apples in a deep bowl of the same diameter as your pie dish. Arrange the rest in the crust-lined pie dish itself.
- Optionally, sprinkle walnuts and shredded coconut on top of the apples in the pie dish at this point.
- Moving quickly yet precisely, flip the pie dish full of apples on top of the bowl full of apple wedges. Turn the entire thing over, so that the bowl full of apples is now upside-down on top of the pie crust.
Assembly and Cooking:
- Lay the remaining dough packet on the counter, unfold it, and remove the top layer of plastic.
- Work with a friend! Have him or her pull the bowl off the mound of apples while you quickly flip the dough onto it to hold the wedges in place.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the upper dough, then trim off the excess dough. Press the top and bottom dough layers together and slightly inward so you can see the top of the pie mold.
- Bake in a preheated 390 degree oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees. Continue baking until the crust is golden-brown and the apples are tender, about an hour.
- Garnish with more cranberries and sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Dig in and enjoy this amazing treat!
Love you! ❤️